Saturday, October 10, 2015

A Post In A While


Ah, so I haven't posted in ages. No I haven't been neglecting it I have just simply been stupidly busy with life lately. I have been shooting, but not as much as I would like to. I try to get out regularly to shoot, but quite frankly it is easier said than done lately. So I wanted to give an update on some stuff I have been doing.

Thankfully I have my trust Nokia Lumia 1020 mobile camera phone with me so I can get some shooting done when I have a moment or two, but I would love to have a go-to film camera more often than not. But sadly they are a bit restrictive and bulky for my job. Quite simply it would be too difficult for me to work with a film camera instead of my phone.

However a recent film shooters meetup and walk (summer 2015) took us to St. Lawrence Market and the surrounding area over to C'est What bar and grill. It is a absolutely lovely place to grab a bite and a pint.

Oh incidentally my wife and I have also gone completely Vegan. Don't know what that is? Look it up!

 www.vegan.com

I won't bore you with those details, I'll talk strictly about the shooting I did at St. Lawrence Market. It was great fun, but a little.... crazy..!
I shot some CBEMA (Svema) FN64 rated at 200 there (which came out stunning btw) and some wonderful Porta 800! That film is amazing. No, not in 35mm... 120!

I have been finding myself more drifting to 120 instead of 135 lately, just simply because I prefer the lower number of frames and larger sized frames. It makes such a difference having such massive film (at least to me).

Midday Meal - Zenza Bronica SQ-Ai - 80mm ƒ/2.8 - Portra800
My go-to camera is the Bronica SQ-Ai. It just instantly became my go-to camera for, well, basically anything I shoot!  I love the square and how the camera handles. It just feels right in my hands, but I'm a Bronica kind of guy!
Main Entrance - Zenza Bronica SQ-Ai - 80mm ƒ/2.8 - Portra 800
The market is beautiful inside and quite chaotic, but it makes for some interesting photo opportunities. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was the outdoor shots that I enjoyed most!
When we left the Market and wandered about Downtown Toronto I got to try out street photography with a medium format SLR!  Go figure!

The Odd Couple - Zenza Bronica SQ-Ai - 80mm ƒ/2.8 - Portra800
Not the easiest thing to do, shooting street photography with such a big camera, but I managed to, as these people didn't even have the slightest clue that I had even taken their photo, another plus for Waist Level Finders...
The Lady With The Lilac Parasol - Zenza Bronica SQ-Ai - 80mm ƒ/2.8 - Portra800
The shot above literally took more than 10 minutes to take.  I had it all lined up at one point, but then other people started to show up in the shot and I had to wait.  I didn't want random people pollution in the photo, so I waited and waited and waited...
Then this lady started walking toward me and the moment arrived... She was the sole person in the shot and actually stood out just enough to give this more than a landscape shot...

I tripped the shutter and perfect!  I knew I had nailed the perfect photo..

Across The Bar - Zenza Bronica SQ-Ai - 80mm ƒ/2.8 - Portra800

Yeah, we ended up at a bar/pub after.. We always do for 'after-walk' refreshments, which means beer.. It was fantastic!  We got fries and a beer, of course.  +Alex Luyckx, the organizer of the walk, let my wife wander around with a Hasselblad. Lucky gal!
Well Crafted - Zenza Bronica SQ-Ai - 80mm ƒ/2.8 - Protra800 
However my wife decided on a coke instead... but I couldn't have framed this photo any better..

So yes, I am still active, just haven't been updating my blog often enough.  I hope to rectify that soon and get some more Camera Reviews as well..

Until next time... Keep those shutters firing!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Mike! I have been the same lately; things happen, time passes quickly and before you know it, weeks have passed with no photography activity at all! Good to make up for that though!

    ReplyDelete