Monday, July 9, 2012

ORWO Film

UN54+ 100ASA Film.  It is a touch grainy in HC-110, but that's fine, I'm sure it would be far more grainy in Rodinal, or XTOL.
Basket On A Bike
Kodak Pony 35 - 44mm ƒ/3.5 Anaston ORWO UN54+ 100ASA - HC-110 B
Although grainy, it looks very nice as a Panchromatic B&W film.  Nice even tones throughout, and considering everything, a not too bad grain.
I've got a higher preference to fine grain, over coarse grain, but that has a lot more to do with the developer over the film used.

For the price, and what you get, it's a great film.  I would easily compare it to my staple film, Polypan F, and if needed a bit more of a push (speed), I would definitely shoot this over it.

It produces a very nicely toned
image, which I'm sure I can get even more out of it using a yellow #2 or a Red #25 filter. 

This film, although not my first choice, was actually suggested to me by Larry Dressler, who goes by the pseudoname Inetjoker on Flickr.  After careful consideration, I decided to go for it.  Why not?  After loading it into the rolls, I got 18 rolls of B&W 100 speed film for much less than if I went and purchased them in store.
I am going to definitely share some of this film with my good friend, and fellow Photographer, John G. Meadows, who has shown an interest in this film.

Recently I decided to give this film another try with a different developer entirely.  I decided, lets try some TMAX developer.  It's not the most widely loved Developer, but I happen to enjoy it.  It's easy to use, gives really nice tones and contrast, and is actually not an expensive developer.
Swan
I prefer to use it at 1+9 over 1+4, mostly just for economy, but I do get wonderful results from either dilution.

I really like how this film looks in TMAX developer.
Even with a difficult subject like a Swan, the image holds the detail in the feathers, without being blown out.
This isn't my first go-to developer for any film, but again, it really works well.  I'm going to continue to try to master this developer, and will use it on any film I can.

If you get a chance to try out some ORWO film, then please do!  Support the film.

Contact George at ORWO North America and pick up your roll today!

Until next time... Keep those shutters firing!

No comments:

Post a Comment