Saturday, September 8, 2012

Surprise Surprise..

Plenty Of Fluids - Nikkormat FT2
Nikkor 50mm ƒ/1.8 AIS
Fuji Superia 800ASA
JOBO C-41 Press Kit
A Nikon man I am not, but I can easily see the appeal of Nikon glass.  Although I have been a strong and staunch Canon shooter, I find myself reaching for Pentax, Exakta & Rollei more than Canon or Nikon.  Does that stop me from using my Canon cameras or Nikkormat?  Not in the slightest! 
In fact, this camera I purchased "broken"..  The self-timer jammed on it, and caused the shutter to jam. 
After a 5 minute fix, which disabled the self-timer, the camera is now fully functional (minus the self-timer).
$10.00 for a Nikkormat?  Can't complain in the slightest!

As for the surprise.. it was actually a pleasant surprise for myself to see these images.  I'm used to 800ASA films being grainy, and mostly unnatractive.  But here we had a beautifully clean and clear image that is crisp, sharp, and very beautiful.  It's the reason I was avoiding using 400+ speed films (at least colour films).  I like grain as much as the next person, within reason.  B&W grain can be lovely, and mood setting, but I find grain with colour films to be a little on the unpleasant side.  Especially when the grain is overly pronounced...
With B&W the grain stays B&W, while colour film it seems to resemble Digital Noise more than grain.  Very unpleasant.

But again, this is just spectacular in my eyes, and makes me feel quite good to know that the 800ASA films in my freezer will be perfect for exposures like this.
Oh, did I also mention, this film is about 5 years expired!

Until next time, keep those shutters firing....!

No comments:

Post a Comment