Thursday, June 19, 2014

B&W Slides - The Easier Method

Recently I've tried making B&W slides using the traditional method of, Develop in a selected developer, such as HC-110, Rodinal, TMAX developer, or whatever other type of developer you want, then bleach in a Potassium Permaganate/Sulfuric Acid mix, fog under light for 60 seconds (or longer) and redevelop using a strong developer like DekTOL stock solution to develop the remaining silver.

The slides were usually okay, but because of the age of the product (probably mostly the clearing agent) the slides weren't the best.  And they are also very very delicate after the bleaching process because of the acid softening the emulsion.

Well, I put a challenge out to +Kelly-Shane Fuller, who I truly hope doesn't mind me stealing his image from Flickr for my own nefarious purposes, to use his HC-110/C41 developing method to create a B&W slide from Ilford's XP2.

His method is as follows;

HC-110 Dil. B @ 30°C for 12:00
Dump and Stop (water stop/acid stop)
Pull out and expose to light.  (Time is not really important, but you want to make sure it's entirely exposed to light).
Redevelop using C-41 Chemicals at prescribed time and temperature for C-41 developing.
Rinse
BLIX (Bleach/Fix)
Stabilize
and finally...
Dry.

This method is tried and true for creating beautiful colour slides using all manner of E6 films, like Velvia, Provia, Astia, Ektachrome, etc.  (No sorry, K-Chromes will NOT work with this method).

Now before you start commenting on colour stability with CD3 instead of CD4 chemicals, or vice versa, I am, as Kelly-Shane is, well aware of that.  It is not something terribly alarming, and this method is probably used for immediate results, but cannot guarantee longevity of the film's colour stability.

For Ilford's XP2 Super film, it is probably more that adequate for this, considering it is a Chromogenic C-41 film, and there is no colour anyway.

So, what image came up? And what image did you steal?

Actually, I only stole the link, and if you click on it, it will link right back to his FLICKR page, and I give him every bit of credit, and support, on his image.

So here it is...

Oh and before I share it, I want to also mention that he accepted the challenge, and blew my mind with the results he got!
So much that I'm going to accept any donated rolls of Ilford XP2 super that you want to get rid of, as I will happily accept them.

That said, however, if you choose to keep your rolls, I will also be purchasing some and giving this a go myself!

So Ilford XP2 Super 400 Speed C-41 Chromogenic B&W film (35mm film) exposed at box speed using a 1958 Yashica 44 (Sprocket Rocket Special)


Puff Ball
"Puff Ball" - By Kelly-Shane Fuller - Yashica 44 - Ilford XP2 Super

So until next time, keep those shutters firing!

Image is owned by Kelly-Shane Fuller, and used solely as a example of his prowess with developing films through unconventional methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment