Saturday, July 13, 2013

Film Photography Project - Evergreen Brickworks Photowalk - Summer 2013

Boy!  What a title! 
This is a bit of an interesting tale.  I have wanted to take the plunge and the drive across the border to the USA to drop in on the boys of the FPP.
Michael Raso, Jon Fedele, Leslie Lazenby, Mat Marrash.. yup the whole lot of them!
They do sound like a fun bunch..

But the unexpected happened.  There was a unofficial FPP meetup in the Toronto area at the Evergreen Brickworks.
For those that are familiar with the Brickworks, there's no need to explain, but for those that are unfamiliar with it...
Well, that's what Wikipedia is for!  Check out this link.  It'll all become clear!

Well, I had a few cameras this day.  My Exakta Varex, with the 50mm ƒ/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lens, a Kodak Reflex, thanks to a new friend in the USA named Jeff Applegate, my Kodak Signet 35, and my Argus C3 brick. 
My wife, +Donna Bitaxi, brought along my Rolleicord V, and her Canon EOS Rebel Ti.  Needless to say, the Rebel was in her hand the entire time, with the Rollei only making a few appearances through the day.

The camera that I also had was the Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super-B.  Now, this is an oddity for me.  The camera isn't at full functionality, as the lens will not stop down properly beyond, apparently now, ƒ/5.6 instantly.  This isn't a bad thing, as the 1/500s shutter speed is enough to compensate for that at 100ASA film or slower in bright daylight, especially with CN film.  But since it won't stop down beyond that, I can't expect absolute top sharpness out of my lenses for this.  Or can I?
Hard to say as the lenses for this camera are amazingly sharp!  I'd love to see them at ƒ/8 or ƒ/11 where most lenses obtain optimal sharpness.  That said, of course, it's not like these lenses are anything BUT sharp!
It did, however, give me an opportunity to field test the camera, and field test the lens.  More the lens, than the camera, as the camera has already been tested, and seems to be pretty functional, minus the slow aperture stopdown.
It will be, very soon, making the venture to the USA for a full and complete over-haul within the next couple of months.

Throughout the day I, jokingly, said I have the "best looking camera!" being the Contaflex Super-B. 
Why, it's Super Beautiful!
Okay, so maybe I hammed it up a little, but really, it's a Zeiss Ikon, and really is a beautiful camera!  I really love using it, and it's quickly becoming my go-to SLR, minus the couple of minor issues with it.
Too bad I couldn't send it away and get it back quickly.  I'd happily turn around and use it as the only camera for the remainder of my 52-week project!

Of course, there was some fantastic Street shooting opportunities, and I'm hard pressed to say I had an ideal film choice.  I know usually Tri-X or HP5+ is the film choice to go with, but... I think Fuji Reala 100 worked out really well with my little Super-B!

All photos below taken with the Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super-B using Fujifilm Reala film

"Delicious Treats"

"Striking Pose"

"He Said Thank You!"

"Incredible Depth"

"Alex" - He who organized the event

"Shelly" also known as "Rear Curtain Sync" on The Flickr
With her nifty Mamiya C330 TLR

"Inconvenient Pose"

"Mike"

"And The Gang's All Here"
The adventure was quite enjoyable.  We are going to be having another in the Fall, so expect some scans from that day as well.

Sure glad I took the day to wander the Brickworks, as it looks like it would make a great place for a future photoshoot.

Until next time fellow bloggers..  Keep those shutters firing!

No comments:

Post a Comment