Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Sharpest Film

So 2013 isn't over yet, and I'm posting another blog post, this one about one of the best films I have ever shot, when it comes to Sharpness.
Being a Microfilm that is designed for extreme amounts of reduction it needs to be a very powerfully resolving film.  I mean, it's stupid sharp!  SHARP SHARP SHARP!
So I have shot this before with disappointing results.  It's a 20ASA film in Adotech developer, and is usable in that developer at 20, but developing it in, say, TMAX developer, or HC-110.. Forget it!
For that you need to pull it.  So lets say 6ASA, which is what I shot it at, and it's beautiful!

So I got a roll from John Meadows.  He and I have been trying to crack this film for a while now, and I am happy to say, I think I have managed to do so.
Without using something like the specialized ADOTECH developer, which is rather pricey, and getting usable results, I tried Rodinal.

Rodinal is a great developer.  Very high acutance, sharpness, and beautiful tonal range.  It is like the magic of film in a liquid package.  It's easily one of the very best developers... ever!  It's liquid magic...!

Anyway, enough praise of Rodinal....  It deserves it, but here's the ADOX CMSII 20ASA film rated for 6ASA in Rodinal 1+200 developed for 12:00..





Images were taken down in the Beach area of Toronto, at the Victoria Park and Queen Street Water Processing Plant.

All images taken on a Bolsey B2 35mm Rangefinder, with a Wollensak 44mm ƒ/3.2 lens and developed in Rodinal 1+200 for 12:00 using standard agitation.

Until next time fellow bloggers, keep those shutters firing!

No comments:

Post a Comment